An issue report is a report containing the description, impact assessment and recommendations for a request for change, off-specification or a problem/concern. It is created only for those issues that need to be handled formally.
The report is initially created when capturing the issue, and updated both after the issue has been examined and when proposals are identified for issue resolution. The issue report is later amended further in order to record what option was decided upon, and finally updated when the implementation has been verified and the issue is closed.
The following quality criteria apply to an issue report:
- The issue stated is clear and unambiguous.
- A detailed impact analysis has occurred.
- All implications have been considered.
- The issue has been examined for its effect on the tolerances.
- The issue has been correctly registered in the issue register.
- Decisions are accurately and unambiguously described.